Friday, 23 January 2009

My workplace makes me depressed

Yet I cannot quite put my finger on why.

Is it because the Engineering Postdoc laughed at me when I was going for lunch? He even stopped and asked me if I am going for lunch alone (as if I was a leper). Yes, I am going for lunch alone, because everyone else in the office is so busy that they eat lunch at their desks.

There was a satirical post about paranoia by girlpostdoc, where she mentions "Persecutory Ideation Questionnaire" (McKay et al. 2006, J Nerv Ment Dis. 194(8):628-31) that tests vulnerability to paranoia. I copy it here for your information:

1. I sometimes feel as if there is a conspiracy against me.
2. I feel at times that I am deliberately ill-treated by others.
3. I often feel that others have it in for me.
4. People mean to do and say things to annoy me.
5. I sometimes feel that people are plotting against me.
6. I sometimes feel that people are laughing at me behind my back.
7. Some people try to steal my ideas and take credit for them.
8. I sometimes feel that I am being persecuted in some way.
9. I often pick up hidden threats or put-downs from what people say or do.
10. Some people harass me persistently.


I agree with 4 of the statements in my current workplace. I definitely have a degree of paranoia!

In our group there are five postgraduate students soon finishing (the academic year in Japan runs together with fiscal year from April to March). Two PhD students and three Masters students, all of them were supposed to finish writing and hand in their theses today. So our tiny office was full, there were 8-9 people working in it today. There were not even enough chairs for everyone. I asked one student if his thesis is ready, and he looked at me and said, "No, it is not yet ready", as if it was normal and not a problem.

They are all writing together and taking fag breaks and eating lunches at their desks together. It is not taking any less time then walking to cafeteria, but they create this impression of hard work. And Hard Work is everything in Japan. You must work hard to achieve anything, however they more often then not only create impression of work by spending long, long hours at the desk.

During lunch I met the Boss and the Captain who were having lunch. My boss greeted me with loud and pretentious "How was the conference?". (Voice in my head) "Why would you care? You did not want me to go, and you did not give me any money to go, so sod off". But he continued. "And who did you meet?". Why now the sudden interest in the symposium, while a few days later it was better for me not to go? I do not believe it is sincere.

From the two professors I learned that the students’ deadline was moved to next Wednesday. The students are not ready, because professors give them no guidance, help or support. So the professors extend the deadline. If they helped the students earlier then this would not be necessary. Everything here is "fire fighting", everything is last minute.

And let’s not even mention how a publication that was necessary for one of the PhD students was handled. It was submitted to a Japanese journal, which Editor was a friend of our powerful Boss. The Boss basically phoned and agreed that this publication will be published within the necessary time frame (about a month). And this is a peer review journal! They wrote up an article in about a week, and submitted it for review – to Boss’s pals, who promised to complete the review within a week. For me it is completely immoral. I would not like to become cynical and believe that this is how science is done all over the world…

Another reason for my sadness may be my isolation. I am in the room full of people, none of who speaks to me all day. They do speak to each other. Actually they chat all the time. It is one constant never ending chat. If it dies off, it restarts within a few minutes. Yet I sit there alone, excluded. It is terrible loneliness among other people.

No wonder other people got depressed and quit from this place. I am also contemplating leaving, whatever the price for that would be. I am considering applying for another job in Japan or returning to Europe, and even leaving academia if it needs be. Maybe I do not have what it takes.

I am not longer angry at the system here. I am just sad and unhappy.

3 comments:

  1. I cannot but help to think that you are isolted mostly because the languague.
    You found that you know things you like in Japan (bullet train, Sumo)you can try to draw from your workmates some discussion in English based on these. If you can get them used, by means foul or fair, to talking in English at least a bit about things that are not too hard for them then after some time they might venture something of their own...
    KChlorek

    ReplyDelete
  2. KChlorek: i don't really agree with you. from discussions with my japanese friends and colleagues i learned that they have huge communication problems especially in a man-to-woman communication -- but only when they're in japan. this can be understood as a hint that they are completely frustrated by their tradition and cultural norms.
    Dr. Loskova, you seem to be in a terrible position. i don't think students will ever be able to freely communicate with you simply because they are not supposed to. surely, it's hard to communicate if you don't speak the language well but it's not like one needs high level vocabulary for little talk -- which is probably science based anyway so it's easier. they are simply afraid.

    the situation with the other postdoc was already explained in one of your previous posts -- by patriarchal society. forget about him.

    as for your concerns about staying in japan. well. if you find sth better, go. i can't imagine why you went there in the first place (except for a relatively high postdoc grant -- at least from JSPS)... japanese scientists are only inventive outside japan...

    ReplyDelete
  3. KChlorek: I also think that this is because of Japanese traditional and cultural norms. They are just not supposed to talk to "strangers" and I will always be a stranger, no matter what. It is partly due to gender, but mostly due to being non-Japanese (gaijin).

    I am able to make small talk with people who are interested to talk with me, but I cannot force a chat on people who are not interested, or unwilling, to communicate.

    One example is that the undergrad that I work with is happy and comfortable to chat and joke with me when we are alone, but not in the presence of others. From what is going on when I talk with him in English in the office in presence of others I sense that they (especially E. Postdoc) ridicule his efforts to communicate with me in broken English. E. Postdoc would not "loose face" by speaking broken English, so when I try to ask him anything, he usually is very awkward and does not want to speak. All younger students in his presence are also afraid to speak to me, as he ridicules them for their efforts. They are fine in one to one interactions.

    Anonymous: thanks for the comment. I also do not know why I came here :o) That is worth a separate post to dig out some reasons that I had. Maybe I was drunk when I made the decision, I must have been!

    But I am here now, so I hope I will be able to negotiate some way to go forward.

    I am not even on JSPS funding, I am only on the local Japanese grant, with the basic salary (less then 60% of JSPS). But I had no idea how much my money is worth here (not a lot) until this weekend.

    I also have never heard that "japanese scientists are only inventive outside japan". If only I knew...

    ReplyDelete