Thursday, 15 January 2009

Good Morning and Good Bye

"Good Morning" and "Good Bye" are the only words that I exchange with my coworkers on a typical day. Unless I ask them specific questions that I need answered. Even if I do, then they only reply to me with the information that I need and that’s it. End of the chat.

The two coworkers that I spend the most time with in the office are the Talented Postgrad and the Engineering Postdoc. The former has a deadline to finish his thesis next Friday. And he only learned that he is supposed to submit in English rather than in Japanese a week ago. I do not dare to interrupt him and to ask him questions. I do respect his time and I know that Japanese people are supposed to tend to your question or request immediately by politeness. I am saving my requests till later, after his deadline, as I know he is always willing to help and has solved some of my headaches problems already.

The Engineering Postdoc does not speak to me since the moment he was rude to me. I guess that he has the typical victim-syndrome ridden by the guilt of his aggression towards me. The aggression perpetrators feel guilty thus find a justification for it in the other person’s behaviour. Then they can believe that the other person has hurt them and that they are justified in their aggression. This is my temporary diagnosis. Anyway, he does not speak to me.

No one speak to me in English, even though they have a few tea breaks and chat breaks when they speak in Japanese among themselves.

I feel so lonely!

No comments:

Post a Comment