Tuesday, 20 January 2009

Grand Sumo Tournament

Watching sumo is pure pleasure. In Europe I used to think that sumo players are ugly (maybe because they are big). I never realised that they actually are very strong.

Now I very much enjoy watching 10min of daily update of Grand Sumo Tournament. It is day 10 of the tournament today and I realised that I am looking forward to watching this news everyday.

The games are beautiful, there is no aggression in them like in boxing (which I do not understand), sumo games are all about struggle. And they are very short. Some last a few seconds, other, exceptional, up to one minute.

The audience gets very excited and cheers the players loudly, which seems quite unusual for the Japanese. I am becoming a big fan of this sport.

1 comment:

  1. You are getting something out of Japanease culture since you are starting to think about Sumo as beautiful gentle game :-)

    KChlorek

    ReplyDelete