Saturday, 31 October 2009

On arrival in Tokyo I go to Edinburgh

I arrived to Tokyo at 6.30am on Saturday morning on the night bus from Osaka, one hour earlier than scheduled and I was supposed to pick up my apartment key at 10am, so I had plenty of time to kill.

I was very lucky that when I visited Tokyo before my friend took me out in the area of my now arrival, Shinjuku, so I was not completely lost or overwhelmed. Actually, it was still too early to be overwhelmed. The crowd was not yet there.

The homeless were only starting to get up in the passageways and staircases around the station. The small groups of party people still in full make-up were going back to the station to catch their first trains home. The cleaners was tidying after Friday night party and getting the homeless to get up. Some individual suited salarymen were starting their daily commute for work.

I decided to go to the place that I already knew: Edinburgh. There is this 24h-open cafe nearby the station where I have eaten breakfast before (when I was one of the party people).

I loved the name, and went there for breakfast before, just for the sake of the name. Even if it is a little plastic and artificial it still indeed reminds me of some places in Edinburgh, especially one pub in Grassmarket. Cafe Edinburgh is a nostalgic place for me as I once lived two minutes walk from the pub it reminds me of... So this is where I went for the first morning of my new life in Tokyo.

How crazy to arrive in the capital city of Japan and go to the place, where you feel like you just arrived in the capital city of Scotland!

No comments:

Post a Comment