Yesterday I spoke with a colleague, who asked me about people with PhD, working at universities like me, when they meet together, whether they feel better than the rest of the world and other people. And what could we possibly do when we, for example, meet in a pub?
I looked at him surprised, how could possibly a thought like that come to his mind? That there is some group of people with diplomas, where we enjoy each other’s divinity and each other’s ingenuity... I asked him what he meant by his question.
He asked whether when we go together to a pub we are completely serious? (and boring, he did not add it, but I could see it in his eyes). Because it is it the case, then the time spent with people who are “stupid” like him, will do me some favours for a change.
I think I will leave it without a comment.
Or maybe not, I think that such thoughts could only come to mind of a person, who is himself able to join in such mini-elite groups, where he feels a part of a privileged group, better than others. Conceited as.hole.
Monday, 25 August 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Ja jak ide do pubu to tylko gram w bingo i czytam 'science' z reszta kolegow i kolezanek z wydzialu. Prowadzimy tylko powazne konwersacje o:
ReplyDelete1. Wyzszosci srodowiska akademickiego nad pospolstwem.
2. Predystynacji i mertyrologii doktoranta.
3. Roznicach w poziomie ilorazu inteligencji(IQ) miedzy doktorantem/postdoktorantem a sklepikarzem w oparciu o analize wariancji w modelu wieloczynnikowym (z wysokim wskaznikiem efektow stalych)
4. Chemicznych, metabolicznych, neuropsychologicznych i socjologicznych podstawach oduzenia alkoholowego
4. Strategii gry w bingo
;-)