The Big Old Boss has a full-time secretary for dealing with his administrative work. This is a luxury, but he is the most accomplished (and funded) professor at this off-site department.
She is a very nice person, but very formal. She had helped me to fill in applications for visa and Japanese ID card where everything, even my name and address have to be written in Japanese. It is better she did it than me, because we foreigners cannot write quite neatly and we make mistakes, and forms with mistakes often have to be filled in from scratch anyway, so she saved us both some time.
Confusing situations arose during many procedures, for example when I filled in the field "home address" on the form with my address in Scotland, whereas my nationality is Polish. I came here from the address in Scotland and I am going back there afterwards, so it seemed logical to give them that address to contact me. But that has confused the bureaucrats to the degree they were phoning the higher-level administration for the decision.
The field "home address" was a translation of Japanese phrase "address in the country of nationality" which in my case was Poland. I tried to explain that I do not live in Poland any more nor am I going back there after leaving Japan, but it did not matter. What was more important than to have contact details for me was to have properly filled in form. (I know, I wrote about this before, I do repeat myself here, because it was soooo annoying).
I kind of got used to their diligent form filling now, and whenever I have to fill in a form I ask a Japanese person to write my address for me instead of writing it in Roman letters and confusing them (and their computer systems) to the impossible degree.
The story I wanted to describe happened a few days ago, after I asked professor and the secretary who is going to help me with flat hunting. They booked my accommodation till the end of March and since they have some PhD student coming here they will not let me stay there for the rest of my time here, they want me to find a flat on the market and move out there.
Let’s leave the issue of Japanese landlords not wanting to rent their properties to foreigners aside for now, together with the enormous deposit (partly non-returnable) required to rent a flat here, and let’s see what support they offer to me with this tricky situation.
The secretary came to our office with some forms and told me that they are going to help me to find accommodation. She asked me to write on a piece of paper the price of rent I want to pay and how many rooms (but not the location) and told me that they will help me to find a place. I asked about the details and she told me to give the form to the undergraduate I am working with, to the Happy Puppy student.
So here she comes in, the Japanese bureaucrat, to manage how the undergraduate is to help me in flat hunting. She tells us what process we have to follow, even though we work side by side everyday and we can speak and communicate in English.
We can sit at the computer and search through internet together, we do not need some silly bureaucratic procedure to communicate. Thank you very much for your help.
Thursday, 5 February 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


well unless you hold a UK passport containing the working visa, your home address is clearly the one in poland regardless of where you actually live. (in this case you're in a conflict with polish authorities but that's yet another story). it's everywhere like this not just in japan.
ReplyDeleteif you indeed hold a british passport then the japanese are dumb. in this case, do children of korean immigrants in japan hold an address in korea?
Anonymous: you must be British (judging from your comment). And you must think that people who do not hold a British passport have no right to reside in Britain.
ReplyDelete(And are you talking about a British passport with a working visa for me in UK? This is a contradiction. If I had a British passport do you think I would need a working visa for UK in it?)
I do not agree with your stance about a "home address". I understand that it is up to individual country to decide what they mean by this. But to force people to have the "home address" in their country of nationality certainly does not make sense with the right of the free movement of people inside the EU. It is not just about Polish people residing in UK, it is also about French residing in Italy, Italians residing in France, Spanish residing in Poland and British residing in Spain. See the laws for yourself if you do not believe me, and yes, it is possible for people to have a residential address outside their country of nationality in the EU.
And me having a residential address in UK or another EU country is not in conflict with Polish authorities.
(it's me from the 1st post) i don't think you've understood me at all. with the working visa what i meant is the working visa for japan. not for the uk of course because there's no need for one (not 8 yrs ago of course).
ReplyDelete2) while in uk you should have had the permanent address in the uk. that's not just your right - it's your responsibility - but it's also your responsibility to let poland know that you don't reside there (i'm confident that there's a law about this in poland). so if being a permanent UK resident grants you a british passport then you should get one and then you're considered a british citizen. if you're not able to obtain a british passport then you're obviously not a british citizen and it has _nothing_ to do with your nationality. it's citizenship and not nationality which counts. and it certainly doesn't have anything to do with your decision what you consider your home country.
i'm not british. i don't even like britons, well english to be exact. and i don't care about polish people in the uk nor any other immigrant. in fact i don't care about the uk at all. i am very sorry you consider my previous comment as an attack on polish immigrants to the uk - no need to be defensive.
Maybe you are German then? ;-) I sense the "Ordnung muss sein!" attitude. There is a certain lack of flexibility in your thinking that makes me think that you are German. Anyway, I am just guessing.
ReplyDeleteI did not consider your opinion as an attack on Polish migrants in the UK, I considered your opinion as an attack on myself. I considered your comment as an attack on my freedom on where I want to live and work.
I do not agree with your opinion, and I will write why in a separate post, as this is actually the whole new topic. This post was not to be about nationality, citizenship and passports, it was about how I find it funny that the Japanese secretary wanted to impose a formal structured written way of communication (inconvenient, inflexible, burdensome and unnecessary) between me and a student with whom I speak daily.